3D Print Servo Attachment Design
For this week, I decided to work on the design part of the headset. The most important thing is the servo attachment. Firstly I measured the dimensions of a 9g servo and sketched out the ear, then I created the 3d model in Rihno and added the screwed part so it can attach to the servo after. As I haven’t used Rihno before, so I just followed the beginner tutorial on youtube and created a fairly simple model. I print them out on Ultimaker 2+ with 0.4mm yellow PLA filament. I am not a big fan of yellow, but it has been set on the machine, I will paint them later on with my preferred color.
After that, I secured the servo onto the holder with two screws and hot glued each one onto my headset. There are another two holes left for screwing at the bottom, but I just left them for the end until other parts have been assembled. I download the free servo holder file from here.
After attaching the ears on my headset, I then calculated the right angles for movements, so it will move from both directions at the same time.
Then I included the servo codes with my previous LEDUnity code in Particle IDE. However, at the first time, it won’t work. So I created an empty sketch to just write simple servo code in it to test if it’s working. After that, I combine the test code with my LEDUnity code and found out it only works when I put them inside the
loop. For the web control purpose, it can’t be inside a
loop but actually a
function. I then did a research and found a tutorial on Particle website and realized that the servo should be initialized the starting angle at
setup firstly, so it can then be written inside a
Power Supply Issue
Countining with last week issue for power supply, my supervisor pionted out that the reason I can’t use coin cell battery is that it has big current drop. CR2320 Enginnering Sepcifications.
I tested with two lipo battery as the same circuit last week by using a 5v regulator, it can successfully power my photon and it only drop 0.3v after connecting to the particle photon. So I decided to use AAA battery to build this prototype considering my overall budget.